Monday, July 17, 2006

The Sound of Ideologies Clashing

Now I don't have any answers, either, but I'm not an international policy expert, or world leader, or mystical peace-maker, whatever is needed. But there's got to be some way to stop things like this, from today's Los Angeles Times:

"When they fire a rocket from my orange grove, I want to ask them, 'Why don't you just aim it at me instead?' " said Bassam Daoud, a farmer in northern Gaza, referring to the Hamas fighters. "I will pay the price for what they do."

Of course perhaps a big part of the problem is that even this LA Times' analysis first spends much time weighing out the strategic reasons Israel might be over-reaching, namely they are helping unite the generally opposed Hezbollah and Hamas. After thinking that through some the article finally says, "A second major risk involves civilian casualties."

Perhaps we need to get past the civilian casualty after-thought phase of foreign policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker