Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Truth Dig My Ass

OK, that title was a bit more painful than I meant it to be, but it seems that if anyone actually read me, I'd be able to assume I've been plagiarized. For what should Truth Dig post just this Sunday but an article that begins:

Just days after former Vice President Al Gore received an Academy Award for his global-warming documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth,” the United States Supreme Court handed Mr. Gore a stunning reversal, stripping him of his Oscar and awarding it to President George W. Bush instead.

For Mr. Gore, who basked in the adulation of his Hollywood audience Sunday night, the high court’s decision to give his Oscar to President Bush was a cruel twist of fate, to say the least.

But in a 5-4 decision handed down Tuesday morning, the justices made it clear that they had taken the unprecedented step of stripping Mr. Gore of his Oscar because President Bush deserved it more.

You loyal readers might recall (I say might as I know many of my loyal readers drink, just to keep up with my pace) that on Monday, February 26 I blogged the following:

In stunning news today, the U.S. Supreme Court convened for a special session and by a 6-3 decision voted to rescind the Best Documentary Oscar for An Inconvenient Truth. Chief Justice John Roberts said, "First, I'd like to thank William Rehnquist for stepping down, even if he had to die to do so. Second, we determined that for the good of the nation we had to act and save them from the uncertainty we have about global warming. The best way to do that, we thought, was to prevent them from seeing anything that might make them think global warming exists. It turns out the voting in Palm Beach in particular largely went for the powerful doc Pat Buchanan's Ten Ways to a Better Bris and then there were the hanging Chads--both Lowe and Everett didn't seem to vote. Third, we had a good long talk with James Baker, who was happy to be listened to again after the Iraq Study Report."

Antonin Scalia went even further with his comments, claiming, "We're also going to take away Melissa Etheridge's Oscar and give it to Mary Cheney. Right-wing, VP-sired, Coors-working lesbians we can tolerate, but all the other ones...."

And now Truth Dig won't even post the comment I tried to leave on the site--you'd think Wendy McCaw was running the joint and not Robert Scheer.

[UPDATE: Truth Dig did add my comment. That's lefties for you--somehow I get 2 issues of the Nation on the same day, too.]

Alas, I am not an award-winning comedy writer like Andy Borowitz, who, according to his bio, created The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. That too, of course, was stolen from me, as I long-shopped the tv comedy The OG: Original George, but network execs felt that I was too black and would threaten mainstream America. To think I could have been Will Smith.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I read it here first, and I was sober too.

7:03 PM  
Blogger George said...

Thanks, James. The next round's on me.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker