Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Force Fed by Love


So for my birthday Amy gave me that Multiple Orgasm I've been wanting for years.

Sorry, forgot the italics there--meant Multiple Orgasm by the Pooh Sticks, one of the sadly little known (the story of my musical taste, the story of my life) bands of the late 80s early 90s when people thought music sucked but that's just because they didn't know what to listen to. I've had the album on tape (which is fitting, as one of the disc's best cuts praises the joys of having rare music "On Tape") for years (thanks, Layne, if you're out there), but now I can blast it on CD and not worry that each time I listen I wear some of the fun away.

I almost had to stay in the car and listen to the whole punk-pop thing before coming into work, and even then did so humming the terribly catchy "Sex Head," hoping I didn't blurt out any of the sing-along chorus while in my cube.

As the All Music Guide claims:

The Pooh Sticks were rock's most inside joke, a monumental yet affectionate prank on the very mythology of pop music itself. Cloaked behind ridiculously-overblown marketing schemes, made-up histories and cartoon-character images, the Welsh group punctured the industry's myriad excesses, freely pilfering from the entirety of pop's past by shoplifting titles, lyrics and melodies at will; wrapping their barbs in cotton-candy sing-a-longs, their subversions worked on many levels -- postmodern cultural criticism, retro-irony, slavish imitation, and power-pop manna among them -- to forge an identity as high-concept as it was low-brow.

Gee, that last comment sounds like some project someone else might be up to. (Look up. No, the other up. I mean the one on the computer screen.)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man you got people for the wrong reasons before...now its really going to be bad!



WV: try #1)vyxjbsmm...the longest WV I have seen yet

1:39 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Based on that description, they sound something like Ween. Which would be a good thing.

Yet somehow I'm assuming they're not. Still sounds good though.

6:26 PM  
Blogger George said...

Compared to Ween, the Pooh Sticks were much less interested in being annoying.

9:21 PM  
Blogger George said...

Actually, maybe the best distinction to make is that while both bands are childish, Ween is bratty childish and the Pooh Sticks are wide-eyed innocent childish.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Getting the sense that you weren't too big on the Ween boys.

I'll admit I haven't listened in a while, but there was a stretch there . . .

3:50 AM  
Blogger freakpowertix said...

i thought that "chocolate & cheese" was pretty damn brilliant.

& i have that on tape myself! :(

where the F*** is that cassette?!?

9:49 AM  
Blogger freakpowertix said...

oh, right.

george, you should guest-host on my show with me again, sometime!!!

we can play a "radio friendly" track by the pooh sticks, even. just can't say their name on the air, it seems.

(wtf FCC?!?)

9:52 AM  
Blogger George said...

But Pooh Sticks is a game from Winnie the Pooh! A.A. Milne is banned by the FCC?

How about we play that Steve Earle song for the FCC?

I'd love to do another guest DJ slot--always tons of fun.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker