Monday, January 08, 2007

Misty Bloggy Colored Meme-ries

Tom, one of the keepers over at If I Ran the Zoo, tagged me with a meme that will kill me if I keep thinking about it, so I thought I'd just fire away and live with the regret. I'm an American, after all.

  1. Name a book that you want to share so much that you keep giving away copies: I like trying to pair people with books, actually, so this one's a bit tricky. And then as a joke I want to say Writing for the Visual Arts by Bernstein and me, but it's a textbook and we've given enough copies away already. So, how about Lester Bang's Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung?

  2. Name a piece of music that changed the way you listen to music: A shift for the odd happened when I was a senior in high school and I was listening to Peter Gabriel 3 on headphones so as not to disturb the rest of the house and "Intruder" got me all freaked, mostly because I was looking at the spot in our living room where there used to be stairs, but a woman had somehow run her car into the front of the house a week earlier, so the stairs weren't yet repaired yet--there was just a hole into the cellar, and I kept waiting for something creepy and musically-fueled to rise up out of the gash. Of course, I liked this freakiness, and my taste has never been the same since. Just ask the other teens I tried to make listen to the album on a trip down to the Jersey shore....

  3. Name a film you can watch again and again without fatigue: Just one? Shop Around the Corner. Night of the Hunter. Once Upon a Time in America (if I have a spare 4 hours).

  4. Name a performer for whom you suspend of all disbelief: Fred Astaire makes me think it's natural to sing and dance; Buster Keaton makes me think it's natural not to talk and smile.
  5. Name a work of art you'd like to live with: A Cornell box, please. Either of these would do


    Images of Untitled (Penny Arcade Portrait of Lauren Bacall) and Untitled (Medici Princess) from the cool website Artchive.

  6. Name a work of fiction which has penetrated your real life: I was really moved by "Prufrock" as a teenager, which probably explains too much. Therefore I was fascinated later in life to learn that Eliot himself wrote it as a grad student (Hugh Kenner calls it the only good poem written by a grad student), so I wasn't so wrong thinking it was a young-man's old-man's poem.

  7. Name a punch line that always makes you laugh: Anything Groucho says, but in light of the last answer, Woody Allen in Love and Death, composing by the fire: "I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas...naw, too sentimental."

And now I have the great fun of making others do this, or at least strongly suggesting they do. So, to welcome you to the daisy chain that is the internets, I tag Esau, Big Table, Fuller & Fuller, and Mike's Neighborhood (I tagged 1 more than the required three since according to Wikipedia "Some sources consider only groups of four or more people to be a daisy chain.").

UPDATE (1/10/07 11 am): So far three of those tagged have their responses up: Mike's Nieghborhood, Fuller & Fuller, and Esau. Big Table is a teacher, so maybe thinks he can only give assignments.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE (1/11/07 4 pm): Big Table lays his meme out on the table.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bastard! You'll pay for this.

Ugghhh, now I actually have to let on the philistinism that lies beneath my pretentiousness & other poses.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Tom Hilton said...

I so identified with Prufrock when I was a college freshman.

And I really need to re-watch both Night of the Hunter and Once Upon a Time in America--it's been way too long.

1:11 PM  
Blogger George said...

Actually, I need to see both those movies again, too. Not exactly titles that pop up on TCM.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, ok... complete.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker