Monday, November 13, 2006

One for the Birds

There's a photo, and here's a story, you don't see every day:

Extra anus kills four-legged chick

Forzie the four-legged chicken will cluck no more.

The Te Uku-bred Barnevelder chick - hatched at Marlene Dickey's property at the start of last month - has died. But it wasn't the extra legs that led to its death, more likely an extra anus, Mrs Dickey believes. "He developed two bottoms and I think he got glugged up," she said.

While she was surprised by Forzie's death - he weighed a "good pound of butter" and was gaining feathers slowly - it was not totally unexpected, she said.
And it was fun while it lasted. "He was a bit of a laugh." Looking ungainly on its extra legs but twice as cute, the bird was an exception to the rule that chickens with defects are not normally born alive.

He was found dead on Friday and is now in the Dickeys' freezer waiting to be stuffed.
After he's been to the taxidermist, the family plan to donate the bird to Auckland Museum.

But this does prove why I will never turn this into a group blog or even share duties--two assholes can kill anything.

(a tip of the beak to Doc Searls)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep forgetting to tell you that that chick is freaky! It looks like he walks (I guess that's walked) with all four legs, but my guess is the two extras didn't really work. I know you are just interested in the butt joke (always the butt joke!), but I need more information!

10:45 AM  
Blogger George said...

Freaky indeed. All I know about it is in the entry--I'm pretty sure I included the whole of the news blurb.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker