Sunday, November 12, 2006

Thought of You as My Mountain Top
Thought of You as My Peak

I came upon the sad, sad news that Ellen Willis just died while reading Berube's blog Friday, but have been trying to avoid blogging about it for a host of reasons, not the least of which is that I just want to pretend it didn't happen, and her essays will keep appearing, especially now that there's a tiny bit of hope we might pull back from Bushian darkness and we need folks as wise as Willis to help us begin to see the light. There's also this: I penned a tribute to her back in May, and what I said then still seems right to me, although now it makes me depressed there won't be more essays that begin with sentences like, "Las Vegas is more like Hollywood than Hollywood, because the money is changing hands right out front."

Feminism, writing, the human race is all the poorer with her passing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker