Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Space between Our Work and Its Product

One more reason working for the UC is as delightful as sticking your tongue into a bees' nest: My boss insists that HR claims that for me to get a reclassification of my job--which is really the only way to get a pay increase now that I've reached the top of the pay scale at my current job title--is for me to have been doing the re-classed, more involved, complicated, time-consuming job for six months.

Funny, when they advertise for jobs at the University of California, they don't say: Come work for us for six months, then we'll start paying you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I can do you one better than that. At good ole' PSU, it doesn't matter how much work you do, or how many additional responsibilities you acquire because, as my boss has told me numerous times, "oh, that was always supposed to be part of your job; I just hadn't given it to you yet."

Yeah, she just hadn't "given it to me" yet.

And I can't figure out why, since I've clearly been bent over and waiting for two years...

6:53 AM  
Blogger Folly Blaine said...

The six month rule is not true.

"Once an employee has been performing the full scope of higher level duties for 30 days or more, the department may submit a request for review."

See http://hr.ucsb.edu/Compensation/reclass.process.htm

Also, you can initiate the reclass process, but it helps to have a supervisor's support.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker