Monday, August 24, 2009

Why Buy the Words When You Can Get the Blog for Free?

September 15 will be the anniversary of this here blog. I'm also 31 entries shy of entry #2500. So you know what that means--I have to have 2500 happen on September 15. And you, dear reader, will be here to witness it live. (If your monitor is equipped with neon and fireworks, you just got to enjoy something truly spectacular.)

Will the boy survive while also attempting to work a real job (in a brand spanking new building, although it's pretty big, so I'm probably not going to spank it, besides I don't know how well-behaved it is yet), and work the hobby job that means actual research and talking to people and doing something approaching journalism (figure if I get close that's better than most so-called journalists), and work the second hobby job that I'd promised to give up back before 2009 was almost 3/4 over (and how did that happen? Time you owe me one), not to mention weekend trips to Street Scene in San Diego and yet another trip to Los Angeles Disneyland of Anaheim....

Welcome, then to what's sure to pass for exciting.

And in the meantime ponder this--today I read in the LA Times about the Steely Dan Rent Party Tour and that they're performing albums in their entirety as part of it--if it was Friday it must have been Aja. Now, I'm not a Steely Dan fan, as I find them a bit too slick and polished and what I thought LA was before I moved to California so I really don't want to go back to that idea, now do I. But this did not stop the ache. I felt like I was supposed to be there. Ah, the ugliness of missing something I don't really want. Is there a name for such a malady? Can it be cured?

(1 of 31 in the drive to 2500)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous James said...

Good luck on your blog marathon. Does this mean extra dog blogging?

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Freealonzo said...

You could have Robert Pollard guest blog for you. He'd probably pump out 31 (now 30) posts in a day and a half. 1/3 of them would be instant classics, 1/3 you would never want to read again and the other 1/3 would float between the two camps depending upon your mood.

12:51 PM  
Blogger George said...

I'm going to try to do it without a lot of photos to pad the days,but we'll see how things go.

I might never be a Pollard of Productivity, but I will do my best. I have the drinking part down, at least.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

How many songs has Bob penned in how many years? Can he top 2500? Maybe, but he started long before you.

Rent Parties were a Harlem Renaissance standard, and so it makes sense. I liked early Steely, named after a dildo in Naked Lunch. It might, obviously, be slick, but it had an edge in the 7's that offered a path between prog pretentions and disco fluff. Aja bored me, sharp but empty of their earlier edges beyond the cleverness of getting "Fuck" in another language as a title, but Countdown to Ecstasy is classic.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker