Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Random Ten

Parkas "Start Your Own Country" Loose 4: Start Your Own Country
The Clash "London's Burning" Clash on Broadway
T Bone Burnett "Fatally Beautiful" Twenty Twenty: The Essential T Bone Burnett
Glenn Gould "Partitia III in A minor, BWV 827: III, Courante" Gould Plays Bach Partitas Nos. 3 and 4
Jon Rauhouse "Untitled Pedal Steel Guitar Riff" Down to the Promised Land: 5 Years of Bloodshot Records
John Wesley Harding "Here Comes the Groom" Here Comes the Groom
The Mekons "We're Just Outside London" Pussy King of the Pirates
Dr. Lonnie Smith "He's a Mighty Good Leader" Boogaloo to Beck
James White & the Blacks "Contort Yourself" (original version) Rough Trade Shops: Post Punk Vol 1
Charlie Parker "Wonderful Work" Be Bop Revisited

bonus
Lucinda Williams "Words Fell" World Without Tears

Compared to the past few weeks, this is a masterpiece. A bunch of quick blasts that couldn't be more different (Gould, Rauhouse, Mekons with Kathy Acker), classic punk and post-punk, two of my faves by T Bone and JW Harding, a weirdo cover of Beck, and I haven't got to Lucinda or Charlie Parker or the Parkas, thank you, Ahab.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ahab said...

Tom Waits, "Pony" Mule Variations
Charlie Hunters Featuring Norah Jones, "Day is Done" Hear Music Vol. 8
Ryan Adams, "Firecracker" Gold
Kenny Burrell, "Summertime" Best of Kenny Burrell
Julie Doiron, "Sweeter" Julie Doiron and the Wooden Stars
Uncle Tupelo, "New Madrid" 89/93: An Anthology
Brian Eno, "Fat Lady of Limbourg" Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy
Sufjan Stevens, "The Dress Looks Nice On You" Hear Music, Vol. 3
Eva Cassidy, "Cheek to Cheek" Live at Blues Alley
Neutral Milk Hotel, "Two-Headed Boy Part 2" In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Bonus: Victoria Williams, "Until the Real Thing Comes Along" Water to Drink

My pleasure, George. That is a great song. I didn't notice the Burnett track over at Tom's when I selected tracks to trade or I would have dropped Eno and taken it as my third. As I said over there, marital insomnia has struck me all week and I'm a bit ragged around the edges at this point. Old brains need plenty of rest.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Moods for Moderns – Elvis Costello
2. My Back Pages – Bob Dylan
3. Hooked on a Feeling – Blue Suede
4. Ooh Las Vegas – Gram Parsons
5. The Gash – The Flaming Lips
6. Good Lovin’ – Grateful Dead
7. You Won’t See Me – The Beatles
8. Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1 – Luther Wright and the Wrongs
9. Shot in the Arm – Wilco
10. De Clare Guerre Nucleaine – The Hives

Bonus: Cassavetes - Fugazi

I have no idea where that Blue Suede song came from honest. Otherwise this list looks like I could be a create compilation albums for Starbucks.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Pavement, "Jackals,False Grails: The Lonesome Era," Slanted and Enchanted, L & R
Hem, "Jackson," Eveningland
Okkervill River, "Listening to Otis Redding at Home During Christmas," Don't Fall in Love with Everyone You See
Guided by Voices, "Dirty Water," Earthquake Glue
Hayden, "Killbear," Elk-Lake Serenade
Pixies, "La La Love You," Doolittle
Yo La Tengo, "The Race is On Again," I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
Statistics, "(A Memory)," Statistics (EP)
John Vanderslice, "Trance Manual," Pixel Revolt
The Arcade Fire, "Haiti," Funeral

Bonus Track: Tom Waits, "Lowdown," Bawlers, Brawlers, and Bastards

Hmmmm. A strange mix, with great old and new Indie to sweet country and indielectric to the inimitible Mr. Waits to bring it back to earth. Good lists, gentlemen. I hope I spelled things right this time.

2:09 PM  
Blogger ahab said...

Well done, Marty! No errors that I can detect. (When I saw only three comments I feared for your health. Glad to see you've weathered through.)

Freealonzo, I would buy that Starbucks CD.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker