Friday, October 05, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Cordelia's Dad "Poor Man's Labor" Cordelia's Dad
Randy Newman "I Want You to Hurt Like I Do" Guilty: 30 Years of Randy Newman
Odds "Eat My Brain" Brain Candy (sdtrk)
Queen Ida "Home on the Bayou" Mardi Gras!
The Klezmatics "Moroccan Game" Possessed
Guided by Voices "Hardcore UFO's" Bee Thousand
Luna "Romantica" Romantica
T Bone Burnett "I Wish You Could Have Seen Her Dance" Twenty Twenty: The Essential T Bone Burnett
Dizzy Gillespie "No More Blues (Chega de Saudade)" (live) Ken Burns Jazz: Dizzy Gillespie
Damien Jurado "Tragedy" Rehearsals for Departure

bonus
Pavement "Summer Babe" (live) Slanted & Enchanted: Luxe & Reduxe

The Klezmatics kick this into a higher gear, and you can't complain with that Burett, Jurado, or Pavement cut. Our 19,948 songs of breadth show some depth this week.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ahab said...

Matthew Sweet, "I Almost Forgot" 100% Fun
Leonard Cohen, "Lover Lover Lover" Field Commander Cohen
Damien Jurado, "Engine Fire" Just in Time for Something
Sparklehorse, "Comfort Me" It’s a Wonderful Life
Hayden, "Long Way Down" Live at Convocation Hall
Tom Waits, "Big Black Mariah" Rain Dogs
Brian Eno, "Zawinul/Lava" Another Green World
Richard Buckner, "Blue and Wonder" Bloomed
The Court & Spark, "Hallelejah II" Dead Diamond River
Hem, "Leave Me Here" Rabbit Songs

Bonus: Richmond Fontaine, "The Warehouse Life" The Fitzgerald

Nice list, George. It made me realize I don't have my Luna in iTunes for some reason. Must have fallen through the cracks. And I actually saw Dizzy Gillespie that time in 1990, playing with Arturo Sandoval. Too bad I got so drunk, it'd be nice to remember the actual show. I seem to remember trumpets.

My list is another gift from the gods. The first couple of songs might be open to dispute, and then comes a weakish Jurado track. But from there on out it's top shelf all the way. I think that's two tracks from Rain Dogs in the last three weeks. And God, I love Hayden.

Tom's mom is gravely ill and he's with her. He's asked us to continue posting but I guess none of us has the heart to post on top of the photo he has up right now. Seems like we're all (along with our folks) getting to that age together.

11:20 AM  
Blogger George said...

Poor Tom.

Actually, I'm a sucker for that Matthew Sweet cut, so for me your list is pretty much golden through and through, especially with cuts from 2 of my top 10 albums (Rain Dogs and Another Green World).

Plus this sort of reads like music Ahab gave to George (well, four cuts at least).

11:34 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

I like the Sweet song too, he's just not one of my standards. I was thinking more of the Cohen, who took a beating from some of Tom's other readers, you'll recall, when he once invited us to pick on each other. As for the music I've given you, I'm afraid my catalog's limitations are beginning to show...

12:33 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Lots of great songs and some fearsome writing. Raindogs is in my top ten as well, my favorite Waits album. Luna, Eno, Cohen, Randy Newman. Good lists with wonderful diversity. Finally finished Ahab's blessings, so I'll be back Friday, a little more country.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker