Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Another Farewell

My dad passed away this afternoon (New Jersey time). On August 31 he was admitted to the hospital after suffering a subdural hematoma; they performed brain surgery and thought he might stabilize, but he never really came to again.

I'll eventually write something proper, but in the meantime here's one of those songs I tucked away thinking "someday I'm going to need, how sad it is I'll need this." Billy Bragg's "Tank Park Salute.:"

Kiss me goodnight and say my prayers
Leave the light on at the top of the stairs
Tell me the names of the stars up in the sky
A tree taps on the window pane
That feeling smothers me again
Daddy is it true that we all have to die

At the top of the stairs
Is darkness

I closed my eyes and when I looked
Your name was in the memorial book
and what had become of all the things we planned
I accepted the commiserations
Of all your friends and your relations
But there's some things I still don't understand

You were so tall
How could you fall?

Some photographs of a summer's day
A little boy's lifetime away
Is all I've left of everything we've done
Like a pale moon in a sunny sky
Death gazes down as I pass by
To remind me that I'm but my father's son

I offer up to you
This tribute
I offer up to you
This tank park salute

22 Comments:

Blogger Trekking Left said...

I'm so sorry, George.

11:50 AM  
Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

My sincere condolences to you and your family George.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Chryss said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, George... travel safely. We'll be sending our best thoughts.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

My condolences, it is never easy to lose a parent.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sorry, George. Best wishes to you and your family.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Folly Blaine said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish there was something I could do.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

So sorry to hear that. It's a mixed bag when it's fast like that. I hope you find the comfort you need in the coming weeks and months

3:57 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

An orphan in one year. That's tough. Travel well.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Noah said...

Sorry George. I hope you will find solace in family and fond memories. Safe travels. Allow me to hoist a pint and send my thoughts your way.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

You'll be in our thoughts, George and Amy.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm so sorry to hear that George. It must have been a tough year for you.

I hope you find some comfort with those you'll be around the next few days. I know you'll find comfort when you come back here.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Ironicus Maximus said...

I'm sorry for you loss, George.

How beautiful, if sorrow had not made
Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty's self.
Keats


Fred

2:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Hilton said...

I just heard about this, George. I'm so sorry for your loss.

8:39 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

Very sad news, George. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh, George, what a year you've had. One right on top of the other. I'm thinking of you & Amy. Here's to your dad.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Tessitura said...

George I am so sorry for your loss, although I am glad to know your father is now at peace. take care of yourself. my thoughts are with you and your family

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll keep you close, George. (And as one former English teacher to another, take another look at Emperor of the Air when you get a chance.)

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen your blog in a while. I'm so very sorry, George. My condolences to your whole family.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George, I'm so sorry.

4:46 PM  
Blogger George said...

Thanks for the comfort and kind words, everyone. I really appreciate it.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George, Lauren and I were talking yesterday about you and wondering how your father was doing and if you were back from N.J. God, how sorry to hear this! Please know that our entire OpDem Core Group is behind you and Amy and love you very much. All of our positive thoughts are streaming your way. Stay safe!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very sorry to hear it, George.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker