Thursday, May 17, 2007

So Long to a Salon of Beauty

Rents and the mercenary landlords who raise them have claimed another victim in Santa Barbara--Nicholas Salon of Beauty, better known as Nicky's, better known as the place to buy your George W. Bush toilet paper. The cheery shop at the corner of Anacapa and the one-block Arlington Avenue has been the place to get the unusual, the political, the flat-out most fun gifts and cards since about 1997. As for the owner, Nicolas Gekis, he not only stocked the shop but kept up the beauty shop, a place so ameniable that the few times my mom came out to visit and had to get her hair done (she was of that generation, after all, of the weekly set and monthly perm) she went there and left happy. Or, at least, happy as my mom got. And that wasn't easy, given she liked to find the one thing to complain about that for her would then ruin the whole experience (bitter coffee after a fine meal--the whole evening was terrible). Nicky's couldn't get a better testimonial than pleasing Marge.

Rumor has it that Nicky will be cutting hair somewhere in town, just not in his own shop, the one his father started in 1956. Meanwhile everyone on our Christmas list will have gifts all the less interesting, while the building's new owner better be happy hearing that ca-ching of cash. The store closes June 30, so be sure to stop in, say goodbye, and get a good buy at the sale. You can never have too many wind-up toys, you know.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't stop in and shop too often (sorry if I contributed to the demise), but seeing the colorful tchotchkes and great tin toys in the windows always made me happy when driving down Anacapa. I was sad to see the "closing" signs this weekend.

Dog help us if another Star$$s opens in that corner space.

4:14 PM  
Blogger nightship538 said...

I've been Nicky's client for 30 years! I've had all kinds of styles and colors, but my hair has always looked fabulous. I will miss the fun chats with Nicky and his dad, the great shopping and of course the fun salon atmosphere.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you expect? No one in this town seems interested in SB as unique; keep ignoring the mom & pop entrepreneurial efforts and we are all doomed to Stabucks/Lucky/BumbleBee/Gucci/blah, blah, blah. SB will look like every other town up and down the coast. Can't wait for the next Costco to arrive on Upper State. Sigh.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Where else am I going to be able to get rubber chickens, karl the pencil monkey, little pink pigs, and best of all, the chrome smoking robot!? I really hope the store doesn't completely disappear from SB...

1:06 PM  
Blogger connie Milano said...

well lets get rid of Nicky and make space for Tiffany's...poor SB...nout the place it used to be for sure.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have stopped in at Nicky's from time to time and bought unique gifts. Driving down Anacapa, I have smiled when going past Nicky's, especially at Christmas time. It saddens me to see all of my favorite stores on State Street leaving due to raising rents. I could go anywhere to shop at a brand name franchise. I can't go just anywhere to find some of the special items that one could find at Nicky's.
Even a search on the Internet does not always lead to a success.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker