Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Blogophone Colossus at a Loss-es

As you must know, it's never been a stay the course strategy at INOTBB. The enemy we're fighting is a very determined one. They're very lethal.... But we are going to prevail and it's going to require that readers themselves step up and take more responsibility, and that's something we'll be impressing on you in the weeks and months ahead.

We're not talking about cutting and running from blogging, just a re-adjustment of priorities. We are reacting to the news on the ground, which of late includes a kegger with Stone IPA and 30 guests and badly underestimated food purchasing (or maybe we just didn't realize how hungry our guests would be, although we were shocked to see some purging prior to the party in order to eat more), and seeing Sonny Rollins--who still plays like a genius and isn't just the shell of one--on Sunday night and Yo La Tengo on Monday night, although YLT wasn't kind enough to play in Santa Barbara, so there was this ride to LA and back, and let me tell you, INOTBB is more of an late-summer chicken (not a spring chicken or a hot chicken #1 or a summer sun) these days, no matter how much guitar feedback can sustain a soul.

Plus there's the general sapping of the life force at chez INOTBB, as Nigel has been on the DL. He managed to hog-tie himself Friday while playing at the off-leash park and fell on his side in a cloud of dust. He seemed OK, but when we got home his hip swelled up, and it was time to take him and our checkbook to the vet. They say it was just a hematoma, but they left out the "one heck of a" beforehand that we would like to add in our non-medical way. Since Friday the fluids up there drained down his leg, so his new nickname is Bigfoot. But he's not his usual chipper self, and therefore our whole household seems to be running on a lower wattage battery, barely enough to spark up this dim bulb.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ironicus Maximus said...

Best wishes for Nigel's speedy recovery (and the recovery of your bank account as well). We're currently nursing one who managed to tear his toe nail off in a yard that was all level grass.
Fred

12:10 PM  
Blogger George said...

Thanks for the Nigel wishes, Fred. Same to you and yours and that toe.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, George, sounds like a helluva stretch.

That keg of Stone IPA (6.6% APV if I ain't mistaken) should help set things straight. If I weren't 3000 miles away, I'd help you drain that sucker.

Meaning the keg of Stone IPA, not Nigel's hip. Though give me enough beer I could see doing that too.

1:14 PM  
Blogger George said...

Except for Nigel's injury and the driving and the not having enough food, it's been a good stretch, but I don't stretch as well as I used to, I guess.

Maybe it's I drank too much of the IPA all by myself. Plus the last few hardy souls that evening topped the beer with sweet sips of St. George Whiskey, some of my favorite stuff on the planet.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping that Nigel is back to feeling better soon. I 'stay the course' may be the best after all the smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud of hiss.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... we were shocked to see some purging prior to the party," was nothing like the projectile hurling later, courtesy of that keg of Stone, I surmise. Mom and Dad had a fabulous time, if I understood their slurred meanderings (my band's new name), and the chunks of salmon and beef were sublime. Thanks.

Maxwell

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm toasting Nigel's hip and your good stretch. As well as my own. Didn't you say five games?

11:37 AM  
Blogger George said...

Now I need at least 6 games, because I have Bonderman and my worthy WS opponent David has Suppan, so you can guess who I'm rooting for tonight.

I am all about expediency.

Sorry, Jeff.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker