Wednesday, March 29, 2006

This Week I'm Quitting My Job and All They're Giving Me Is All the Work for the Rest of the Quarter

I shit you not, dear, readers, on either count, which is fitting given what number 2 is. Tomorrow is my last day at my current job (spot the soon to be disappearing link at right), since Friday is when the UC celebrates Cesar Chavez Day and thereby outrages lots of people worried about the past week of protests and instead think there should be a Ronald Reagan Day. Actually, there is a Ronald Reagan Day, but in honor of Ron, we forget what day of the year it is. Ba-dum-bum.

So, the current job, in the way that reminds me why I'm pretty happy to be leaving it, says, "Oh, wow, you're leaving--can you do the rest of the work you'd do until May before you go?"

And, of course, sap I am, I'm doing some of it. But I promise there's one wrong thing in everything I've done just to give them something to deal with when I'm gone. Naw, actually, I'm hoping I get my George Bailey moment and can watch the place turn to Pottersville. Since my new job is at UCSB, too. I'd hate to lose all that accrued vacation the old job wouldn't let me take.

Well, enough whining, but I wanted you to know why I missed blogging yesterday. And I'll leave you with a joke. Today we went on a staff day out that only seemed like an episode from The Office. To Guadalupe, CA. There we got to visit the dunes, which are mostly closed so the snowy plover can do their plovering in peace. But we also go to watch a visitor center movie about the lost remains of the vast sets Cecille B. DeMille built for his silent version of The Ten Commandments. It seems the sets really grew out of control, especially when the team set to build Sphinxes built 8 instead of the 4 that CB asked for. When Demille questioned the foreman of the job, he replied, "Sorry, sir. I guess we just went on a Sphinx tear."

And now I will leave my old job behind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Folly Blaine said...

Congratulations! A few conveniently placed "Easter eggs" in the flyers never hurt anybody.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker