Monday, May 03, 2010

Good-Night, Sweet Prince

Mookie this morning, May 3, 2010

And may your noble, cracked heart fly with the angels, for certainly you could fly on earth. Here's what I wrote last November:

It's Mookie's 12th birthday today, and at least for now I want to think of him again as the fastest dog in the park, the one other dogs would chase and then they would cry, realizing how quick he was, how it broke their heart to witness such swiftness and point them out as the plodders they were. I want to hang to all the joy in that speed, that sense of singleminded purpose. To the lift of moving with all of you in the air. Young Mooks had that and more.

So here's to the wonder he was and the sweet old hobbler he is now, no doubt still lightning quick in the dreams he dreams in his daily snoozes, so often guarding a Milkbone he's not even sure he wants, he just knows Nigel doesn't deserve.

Poor Mooks gets to dream those dreams full-time now. He had been losing weight and growing weaker nearly by the day of late, and this weekend it was his breathing that started to go, too. The only gift we had left to give him was to ease his pain, and as much as that was the right choice, it's a "gift store" I don't want to have to shop at too fucking often.

In the mornings while getting ready to go off to work, Mookie would almost always assume his same favorite spot, on the top of the bed across all the pillows, exactly the kind of comfy a greyhound cherishes. Despite finding his perfect perch, if I came up and asked him if he wanted a hug, he'd scoot a bit up the bed to give me room, as if inviting me. And I told myself every day, running late or not (but of course almost always yes), I had to lay down and give him that hug. I cherished all of those moments, telling myself he wasn't going to live forever. Beauty, love, us, you and me--all so insubstantial.

I know that. And I know nothing at all.

Mookie,
November 24, 1997 - May 3, 2010

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger kidicarus222 said...

Oh, George, I'm really sad to hear that Mookie passed away. He was a nice dog and I'm glad I met him. He's lucky he had owners as good as you and Amy.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

The Mookie Announcement:

Hi, all.

Sorry for the mini-spam, but it seemed the easiest way to annouce that on Feb. 14th, 1998 Amy and I welcomed a bouncing baby (well, eleven week old) greyhound into our home.

His name is Mookie. He's officially "red," if you go by greyhound color names, but it's more of a fawn color if you ask non-AKC dopes like us. He has white on his long schnoz [sic] with a couple of freckles of black. He looks like a deer. Right now he is eating the rug behind me as I type.

He's also an alternative dog, as his favorite newspaper to eat is the Village Voice.

Actually he's quite well-behaved so far.

As for why we got a puppy greyhound and didn't do the more noble rescue thing, well, we were warned that even supposedly "cat friendly" rescue dogs often have their prey instinct kick in and then kitty becomes greyhound chow. We consulted with Simone and Hugo and they thought getting a puppy would be best.

As for how they feel now, Hugo says, "Wasn't it enough to love me?" and Simone couldn't be reached for comment. We hope to find her soon. (Seriously, she's done OK, given she's perfected her nasty meows living with Hugo.)

12:08 AM  
Anonymous James said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to these dear friends who are only with us for such a terribly short time. Clearly, he had a wonderful life and was loved every fast step of the way. Peace.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Ironicus Maximus said...

The world's a little less bright today George and you and Amy walk a lonely path, but our thoughts are with you and Mookie lives with all of us now. Best

Please give Nigel a scratch behind the ears and tell him we're thinking of him as well.

Fred

8:25 AM  
Blogger George said...

Thanks, everyone. He was very loved by all.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Starshine said...

A beautiful remembrance, George. I'm sorry for you. You and Amy were truly the most loving owners a pooch could dream of.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Martha D said...

I'm so sorry to hear it, George!

8:45 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

Awful news, George. So very sorry for you guys. The better the pet, the harder the goodbye.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

I'll miss my singing buddy. Glad I got to see him one last time. Thanks for posting the original announcement, Amy.

4:41 PM  
Blogger E-6 said...

My condolences.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jen Krebs said...

You don't know me, but I read about Mookie's passing on James Brush's blog, and I just wanted to send my condolences. The remembrance you wrote about him is beautiful. Having shopped too many times at that awful gift store, and having walked that path with four of our dogs, I know how difficult it is. I'm sorry.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous freealonzo said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mook. Losing a dog is tough, especially one as cool as Mookie was.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Jazzee said...

When we humans cross over, there will be a loving pack of canines awaiting us. Mookie will be among them. Thank you for sharing.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Folly Blaine said...

I'm sorry, George.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Just saw this today, George. I'm really sorry to hear this. How's Nige taking it?

9:13 AM  
Blogger George said...

Again, thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone. Nigel is doing ok, but clearly misses Mookie, even if Mookie bossed him around most of the time.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Tessitura said...

I love hims and I miss hims

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Clipping Path said...


I m so glad to visit this blog.This blog is really so amazing.Thanks for sharing with us.

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker