Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Excavating Lead

One of the great joys if you're a packrat-y writer is you run into your old clips in the strangest places. When moving at work from building to building recently I stumbled onto my clips when I did the music writing thing for awhile, back in the era before everything got cached away on the internets. Part of that was this intro to an interview with Richard Buckner before he played town in 1998. It's overwrought, sure, but it's my kind of overwrought, a Bucknerian overwrought. Plus he popped up in Friday's random ten. So, here I quote me:

That next drink means the bottle’s empty and your mind is full. Someone’s singing off in another room of the house you always thought was haunted and you’re thinking 'bout that person you always had a hunch you could fall in love with if the light could only hit your faces just right at the self same instant. The other room music grows in intensity, which isn’t volume. And it dawns on you the other room might be your head. It’s playing something sort of countrified, as much in the voice, which sounds like 45 r.p.m. wisdom, as the tune, which creaks at times, cries at others, casual as someone’s heart left cut out on the kitchen table.

Or maybe you’re just listening to Richard Buckner’s major label debut, Devotion + Doubt....

(12 of 31 in the drive to 2500)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Freealonzo said...

casual as someone’s heart left cut out on the kitchen table

Not sure if I would consider someone's heart left out on a kitchen table as "casual" but I am telling you right now that I am going to steal that line sometime.

8:42 AM  
Blogger George said...

The problem is it's always casual when that happens.

Steal away. I'm here all five years....

9:43 AM  
Blogger E-6 said...

As I've noted before, I'm a huge fan of Mr Buckner. He has a man's voice--in the vein of John Doe or Jay Farrar. And some serious songwriting chops, as well.

Good luck on the push to XXX. Hell, George, I'm impressed with anybody who can string three coherent thoughts together. They call that a paragraph, right?

8:48 PM  
Blogger George said...

In the right hands it's a paragraph, E. Not sure exactly what I do, since I don't have the kindness to even leave a sentence alone, busting each poor sucker's heart with dashed clauses and parentheses till its more engorged than a headed for foie gras goose's liver.

But you can paint, now that's something.

9:09 PM  
Blogger E-6 said...

A picture is worth a dozen words. Easily.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker