Thursday, January 15, 2009

Slipping (into Something)

Someone had to be the Father of Margarine, and that dubious distinction goes to Wilhelm Normann, a German chemist and horrible cook who would be 139 this Friday. Normann introduced hydrogenization to fats, and what that means chemically I really don't know, as the most I know about chemistry is you can test your own for a quarter at some old-fashioned arcades, but I assume socially Normann greased the skids of their meeting something like this: "Hydro, Fats. Fats, Hydro. I think you two have something in common." Then they replied in unison, "Yes, we both clog your aorta!" And thus a fantastic friendship was born as well as the burgeoning bank accounts of hundreds of cardiologists. The best part (there is one, promise) is the term is called "fat hardening," so at least I feel better about my stomach of late, knowing the flab can be hard. As with most things dealing with margarine, I can only get into trouble if I go any further, but I will add that the margarine people are still bitter they didn't get the product placement in Last Tango in Paris.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chryss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Chryss said...

Will tomorrow's post feature yogurt?

wv: elybat=Like a chupacabra, but cow-size.

(in a related comment, will tomorrow's Blogger feature comment editing?)

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker