Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Because It's Not Love (But It's Still A Feeling)

Look I'm the kind of guy who makes jokes at funerals, even, especially, those of my parents. I'm utterly distrustful of mush and generally my cynicism is sharp enough to make a Ginsu seem like a plastic picnic knife.

But I want to be someone else for 24 hours.

I want to believe America actually believes its own hype. I want to think the more optimistic, and more brusque, Declaration of Independence had something more to do with law than international public relations. (They really signed their names to pursuit of happiness?) And while even in my wildest dream I can't say I want to believe that the election of an African American to the presidency has killed off racism, I want to believe it's at least got a flesh wound.

I want to believe we're good. At least more good than not. Most of the time. And that only has to be 51% of the time.

So for one day, let's just let the happiness in, the blindness to the future only hope can bring.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger George said...

And let's hear it for a shout out to the non-believers! Is it even legal to do that in an Inaugural Address?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ben Varkentine said...

Imagine.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Trekking Left said...

Amen, Brother!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Rickey said...

Hey, casting aside cynicism for a day isn't easy, but Obama made a decent case for it. At the very least, we finally got to say goodbye to Bush. That's gotta count for something.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Chryss said...

It took a lot of energy just to listen without tearing up... and yep, I teared up anyway.


wv: leancabs, perfect for inauguration day traffic.

1:24 PM  
Blogger E-6 said...

The words of Ray Davies spring to mind:

Here's hoping all the days ahead
Wont be as bitter as the ones behind you.
Be an optimist instead,
And somehow happiness will find you.
Forget what happened yesterday,
I know that better things are on the way.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker