Thursday, August 09, 2007

My Phillie's a Phanatic (And She'll Forgive Me for This Title)

Amy and I are married 10 years today.

It's nearly impossible to say how happy that makes me, and that that happiness is dwarfed only by my expectations for the next decades of happiness. For those of you who don't know Amy, you don't know what you're missing. But here's a brief, some might say odd, example, to help make clear her incadescent terrific-ness.

I'm a bit (cough cough) of a baseball fan. This means I watch a lot, read a lot about it, comb the internets for tidbits, visit Yahoo Fantasy baseball obsessively waiting for Justin Upton to post (and I got him!), blab on and on about it, even put up with Baseball Tonight just to view the highlights. Being married to me means having to deal with all that. Or maybe it doesn't--I know plenty of couples who keep their interests very separate, and sadder, some couples who do all they can to change their partner to be only what he or she wants the person to be.

That's not Amy at all. At this point she's listened, and watched, and actually paid attention enough I'd be afraid that if she did join my fantasy league she'd finish higher than I would. But it's better than that, for she doesn't do it out of obligation, she does it because it matters to me and that gets her interested, too. And an interested Amy is a fascinating thing. A few weeks ago we're watching the All-Star Game and she can't get over Aaron Rowand, who, admittedly, looks odd in the batter's box, from his lazy bat wiggle to his almost arched back. And then there's the faces he makes at bat, a cross between looking dumb and looking like he just ate a lemon (because he was dumb enough to do so). We share a giggle at him (not like the one Tony LaRussa and Albert Pujols shared, I'm sure), and the next thing I know, Amy's standing and doing a spot-on imitation of Rowand. We're both rolling in laughter, now.

And, 10 wonderful years into our marriage, I can think of nothing better to say about Amy than I love a woman who can imitate Aaron Rowand.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Congratulations to you both!

3:13 PM  
Blogger kidicarus222 said...

Ditto that. Way to go, Georgamy.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Chryss said...

Homerun!

4:20 PM  
Blogger ahab said...

Good for you both. Congrats!

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our tenth yesterday too. Hope you two had a pleasant evening. Emily and I had a two movie day: watched Zodiac on the computer (up very late -- long, terrific movie), then went out last night to Talk To Me (also good). toasting,

10:48 AM  
Blogger George said...

Thanks, everybody!

And happy 10th to Jeff & Emily, too--I hope all is well in St. Louis.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Trekking Left said...

Congratulations!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Ironicus Maximus said...

We're totally focused on veracity, credibility and concern for the truth here in the marbled halls of IM Central.

OK, no we're not, but we corrected the record anyway.

By the way, Nigel and Mookie? They really made a smart decision adopting a pair like you and Amy.

Fred

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Aniversary. Sounds like you guys have a great thing going.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Congratulations.

By the way, what's your anniversary? Mrs. Mike and I just had our 8th Anniversary on August 9.

6:53 AM  
Blogger George said...

August 9th also, Mike.

Does that mean you got married on a Monday, if you're just having your 8th anniversary?

11:33 AM  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary! Couldn't have happened to two nicer peeps.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Does that mean you got married on a Monday

Yes it does. The accomodations at the Manhattan Municipal Building are the same every day. And I'm not even sure they're open on weekends.

BTW, it's a very attractive building from the outside. You can see it crossing the Brooklyn Bridge, with the beautiful roof and the statue.

5:35 AM  
Blogger M.C. Confrontation said...

Congratulations George. Your situation is akin to mine. I am a baseball-ophile, a Yankee fan with a Red Sox fan for a wife (she's a Masshole), always trying to dress our daughter with pink Red Sox onesies, but she does a good Hideki Matsui with the shoulder twitch.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker