Thursday, July 05, 2007

I Want to Hear You Blog Like a Pig

Friday is the 70th birthday of Ned Beatty, who broke into film when Crazy Mountain Man broke into his bottom. Sure enough, his career could only go up from there, no doubt making him squeal with joy. I bet you can imagine how that sounds. Rarely the lead, Beatty has been the sound bottom of the bill for many fine films ("Nashville") and some I'm sure he wished he left behind ("1941"). But somehow that first appearance in "Deliverance" has colored all his films--like a bad Burt Reynolds toupee, it's hard to stop thinking about it. Except for his magnificent turn as Arthur Jensen in "Network," when he gets to be god, who is a salesman of course (we are made in his image, after all).

3 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Ahhh. Transyvania's finest.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of appearing to post only for items related to beer and homoerotica (mutually exclusive, I swear!) Ned's always been one of my favorite actors. I guess I'm lucky that I almost never think of his debut in "Deliverance" when I see him. Did you ever watch "Homicide: Life on the Street"? One of the best TV shows ever, and ol' Ned was priceless as Bolander.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and don't forget the CIA director in Hopscotch

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker