Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings "My Dear Someone" Down from the Mountain: Live Concert Performances by the Artists & Musicians of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Pink Martini "Everywhere" Hey Eugene!
Mazzy Star "By My Angel" She Hangs Brightly
Seam "Little Chang, Big City" The Pace Is Glacial
Ed's Redeeming Qualities "Closed Mondays" At the Fish & Game Club
Weston "Feet" A Real-Life Story of Teenage Rebellion
Meesiaen "Intermede" Quatuor pour la fin du temps
The Pogues "Streets of Sorrow/Birmingham Six" If I Should Fall from Grace with God
Amy Rigby "Don't Ever Change" Til the Wheels Fall Off
New Order "Perfect Kiss" Substance

bonus

King Kong "Scooba Dooba Diver" Funny Farm

Secret theme for the day is bands that former student and surely still cool guy (are you out there!) Mike Schlossberg turned me onto--Seam, Weston, King Kong. And we just heard J Church on the iPod during dinner. Takes me back to 1994. If you don't know these bands, look them up. (Start with The Problem with Me by Seam.)

And you're all welcome to play along and leave your randomness in the comments.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list! A happy coincidence that I'm listening to The Pogues "If I Should Fall..." while reading your post! (I've been on a Pogues kick since seeing they're coming to SoCal in October; tickets went on sale today. Now, if only I didn't have to go down to LA to see them... Guess I could hit Target along the way.)

BTW, I've been checking out your blog for a while and figured I'd stop lurking and say hi. Even at the risk of being called a right-winger by Anonymous posters. :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger ahab said...

Scout Niblett, "12 Miles" I Am
Migala, "La Cancion De Gurb" Restos de un Incendio
Gil Scott-Heron, "Lady Day and John Coltrane" Mastercuts Early Hours
Lucinda Williams, "Bus to Baton Rouge" Live at the Fillmore
The Magnetic Fields, "I Wish I Had an Evil Twin" i
Songs: Ohia, "Steve Albini’s Blues" Didn’t It Rain
Ryan Adams, "Goodnight Rose" Easy Tiger
Julie Doiron, "Snow Falls in November" Goodnight Nobody
Howe Gelb, "Lying There" The Listener
Richard Thompson, "Why Must I Plead" Rumor and Sigh

Bonus: Loudon Wainwright III, "Doin’ the Math" Strange Weirdos

George, off topic here, sorry, but did you know the novelist Paul West when you were at PSU?

1:48 PM  
Blogger George said...

Regina--thanks for delurking. Is Shane touring with them again?

Ahab--I knew of Paul West more than knew him. A lot of the folks I hung out with were his acolytes.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Shane is with them. Unfortunately, guitarist Philip Chevron recently announced he has throat cancer, and understandably has dropped out of the tour.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Gillian & Dave. Good stuff.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Much good here. Still not ready to add a list (especially after a weekend camping, sort of), but I did see Scout Niblett in Lexington by chance on a road trip a few years back. She opened for a band with pretensions of outradioheading Radiohead. No one paid attention to her except me, I think. I think two of us bought cds. She wore a vintage prom dress and was charming and self-effacing and I couldn't stop watching her reach those crazy chords. And some nice Goo up above, George (wish I coulda been in Chicago, where they did Daydream Nation all the way through Friday night). And Pogues and, well, I'll be humming all evening.

5:06 PM  
Blogger ahab said...

She opened for a band with pretensions of outradioheading Radiohead.

That's funny, because I always think of Scout Niblett as out Cat Powering Cat Power.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Point well taken. . . .

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker