Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Stephen Malkmus "Vague Space" Stephen Malkmus
Elvis Costello "I've Been Wrong Before" Kojak Variety
Built to Spill "Car" There's Nothing Wrong with Love
R.E.M. "Fall on Me" Life's Rich Pageant
BeauSoleil "Zydeco Gris-Gris" Big Ol' Box of New Orleans
Calexico "Smash" Garden Ruin
Brian Eno "Through Hollow Lands (For Harold Budd)" Before and After Science
Little Walter "Hate to See You Go" His Best
Doc Watson & David Grisman "What Is a Home without Love?" Doc & Dawg
Belle & Sebastian "I Fought in a War" Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant

bonus
William Orbit "Best Friend, Paranoia" Plus from Us

So much for last week's good run. Lots of great artists but only one super cut--Built to Spill's "Car." Go look at the mixed tape from 1999 I posted yesterday instead.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

I really really like BeauSoleil. I first caught them some 8 years ago at the New Orleans Jazz Fest and have listened to them since, including some of Michael Doucet's side projects.

No random 10 for me today; I have been listening to a 2-disk Django Reinhardt collection (called Djangology) on my iPod most of the morning.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And thanks for those tapes you made for Marty when he was moving across country - they cam in handy on our way to DC last weekend.

BTW - you've been tagged.

11:18 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

Giant Sand, "Temptation of Egg" Chore of Enchantment
Nick Cave, "Sweetheart Come" No More Shall We Part
Tindersticks, "Tied" Tindersticks
Friends of Dean Martinez, "Ripcord" Random Harvest
Vic Chesnutt, "Old Hotel" The Salesman and Bernadette
Taj Mahal, "Little Red Hen Blues" Beyond Nashville
Palace Music, "Old Jerusalem" Viva Last Blues
Neko Case, "Favorite" The Tigers Have Spoken
Pavement, "Jackals, False Grails: The Lonesome Era" Slanted & Enchanted
Kristin Hersh, "Clay Feet" Sky Motel

Bonus: The Magnetic Fields, "Papa Was a Rodeo" 69 Love Songs, Vol. 2

I was disappointed with Garden Ruin (from your list, George) overall. It'll be interesting to see where they go with the next one. I'm hoping for a retreat back to their more lyrical style.

Lots of good stuff for me this week. The Vic Chesnutt song is outstanding. Some of his stuff rubs me the wrong way, but then I really like a lot of the rest of it.

12:44 PM  
Blogger George said...

I'm with you on Garden Ruin--but the songs they played off it live were really good, so maybe it's just a vibe thing.

12:53 PM  
Blogger ahab said...

but the songs they played off it live were really good

True. Saw them last fall at the 9:30 Club in DC for the first time ever. Joey Burns is incredibly talented. I had no idea just how good he is. Huge, shimmering guitar riffs. Unbelievably talented guy.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

No harm with "Fall On Me."

8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

haha. Sorry you were already tagged. missed that one.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker