Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Remember Mama Cassette

As I've written before, I still do the mixed tape thing and still love listening to them because I'm a self-involved you know what like that. So since I've been enjoying this blast from 1999 past in the car the last few days (I don't drive that much), I thought I'd post it here, especially because it has one of my mostest favoritest titles I've ever come up with....

Lazy as a River, Veronica as a Lake

side A

Pavement "Major Leagues"
Luna "Sweet Child o' Mine"
Mekons "Now We Have the Bomb"
Jack Logan "Melancholy Girl"
Magnetic Fields "All My Little Words"
Howe Gelb "Propulsion"
Wilco "Via Chicago"
Brian Eno "Dead Finks Don't Talk"
Imperial Teen "Crucible"
Jad Fair and Yo La Tengo "Embarrassed Teen Accidentally Uses Valuable Rare Postage Stamp"
PJ Harvey "Angelene"
Ana Egge "Fairest of Them All"

side B

Built to Spill "Time Trap"
Buzzcocks "Walking Distance"
Guided by Voices "Surgical Focus"
Cadallaca "Winter Storm '98"
Liz Phair "Perfect World"
Freedy Johnston "While I Wait for You"
Steve Earle "My Old Friend the Blues"
Pretenders & Emmylou Harris "She"
Julie Miller "A Kiss on the Lips"
Paul Westerberg "Lookin' Out Forever"
Pixies "Gigantic"
Los Lobos "Oh Yeah"

It sets a mood, moves through phases of soft to loud, includes some of my favorite cuts of all-time (by Magnetic Fields, Wilco, Pixies), includes cuts I forget about but then am very happy to hear again (by Pavement, Jack Logan, Liz Phair), includes one surprisingly good cover (not much G 'n' R in my collection). And then there's that title, did I mention the title?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chryss said...

I think this was my first George tape, and is worn like a velveteen cassette from so much listening... if there's such a thing as a musicparent—in the way that a godparent is supposed to oversee a child's religious development—you'd be Princess Whackamole's. Early exposure to George tapes has given her excellent taste in music....

10:16 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Indeed. George provided me well for my move east and they've received play on my recent trip to DC (which I'm still composing). You should set them up as podcasts, George. I know. Never mind. The medium is a big part of it. So send me a rattling box of tapes, including this one, one of these days.

1:23 PM  
Blogger George said...

Hey, if I had anything at all to do with the Princess becoming the wonderful person she is I feel darn proud.

8:35 PM  
Blogger ahab said...

Great tape! I actually sing along in my best falsetto to that PJ Harvey track, to Mary's consistent and great amusement.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker