Friday, June 01, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Lonnie Mack "Strike Like Lightning" The Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Collection
Thelonious Monster "The Oasis Song" California Clam Chowder
Jane Siberry "An Angel Stepped Down (And Slowly Looked Around)" When I Was a Boy
Kronos Quartet, Luanne Warner "Lara: Se me hizo facil" Nuevo
S.F. Seals "How Did You Know?" Truth Walks in Sleepy Shadows
Galaxie 500 "Here She Comes Now" This Is Our Music
The Hives "Die, All Right!" Veni Vidi Vicious
Tito Puente "New Arrival" Calle 54
Pere Ubu "49 Guitars & One Girl" Datapanik in the Year Zero: 1978-1979
Wake Ooloo "Monday Morning" What About It

bonus
The Klezmer Conservatory Band "Mayn Yiddishe Meydele" Dancing in the Aisles

Oy, what a mix. I have to admit I'm a total "single" whore, and usually on any given album (can we still call them that?) I hone in on the 2-4 cuts I like the most and then the rest of the disc fades away. That is, until the random on the iPod brings them back. I can recommend almost all of the CDs above, but I'm not sure the cuts picked would ever sell any of these discs. It does have to be about as diverse a random ten as I've posted, though.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger ahab said...

May as well post it over here too:

Buena Vista Social Club, "Dos Gardenias" Buena Vista Social Club
Hayden, "Tragedy" Everything I Long For
Karrin Allyson, "Say It (Over and Over Again)" Ballads
M. Ward, "Involuntary" Transfiguration of Vincent
Son Volt, "Bandages and Scars" Okemah and the Melody of Riot
Lightnin’ Hopkins, "Goin’ Back to Florida" Lightnin’ Hopkins
Lambchop, "Grumpus" Nixon
Giant Sand, "Fool" Is All Over the Map
Sparklehorse, "Painbirds" Good Morning Spider
Mick Harvey, "Hotel Specific" Pink Elephants

Bonus: Wilco, "Impossible Germany" Sky Blue Sky

3:58 PM  
Blogger George said...

Thanks for doing so--makes me feel more connected to the internets!

Is Sparklehorse worth looking into?

4:52 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Certainly an international flavor this week.

5:50 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

Is Sparklehorse worth looking into?

Yes, I think Sparklehorse is great, George, and I bet you will like them. But I was actually going to use Sparklehorse in answer to your question over at Tom's, whenever he officially asks it, about bands we're less into than we once were.

Sparklehorse (Mark Linkous) is, or at least used to be, a striking combination of noise and sophisticated poppy rock. But with their last album and the supporting tour, which I saw in Baltimore last fall, I sort of became disenchanted with them. The new album, which they kept me waiting for for like four years, is far too pop-oriented, and the live show lacked any originality. They just recited their songs. I was hoping for some experimentation.

So, yes, by all means pick up Good Morning Spider, Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot, and definitely the melancholy masterpiece It's a Wonderful Life, which includes a Tom Waits tune that doesn't really fit in.

Linkous's (Sparklehorse's) songs were featured in a not-especially-good film of a few years ago, Laurel Canyon.

6:27 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

Oh yeah, as his AMG bio reminds me, Linkous produced Daniel Johnston's 2003 album Fear Yourself, which I have but I don't really love. (I ordered Dead Dog Eyeball last week.) Linkous is an interesting guy, very talented.

6:34 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

I've been thinking about it, George, and reviewing Sparklehorse on iTunes this morning, and now I think you should go immediately to Amazon and buy their first three albums. You'll love them for at least six or seven years, then enter a short period of ambivalence, then you'll love them again.

7:12 AM  
Blogger George said...

Ahab--

Will do so as soon as I can. It's a busy weekend. Thanks for all the thoughtfulness about this!

Do you live in Baltimore? I lived there 1980-84.

10:58 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

George, it is my pleasure to obsess over great music for any reason at all. Thank you for prompting me to forgive Mark Linkous for underperforming my (exceedingly high) expectations at a single measly concert.

And, no, I don't live in Baltimore. I live on a mountain lake in PA 100 miles from Philly, 120 miles from NYC and 200 miles from Baltimore. So live music is always a pilgrimage for me.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker