Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday Random Ten

Sly & the Family Stone "M'lady" Greatest Hits
Joy Division "She's Lost Control" Substance 1977-1980
Fountains of Wayne "Places" Out-of-State Plates
Robert Johnson "Drunken Hearted Man" (Alternate Take) The Complete Recordings
Tom Waits "Cemetery Polka" Rain Dogs
Urge Overkill "And You'll Say" Exit the Dragon
Rilo Kiley "Love and War (11/11/46)" More Adventurous
Miles Davis "Sanctuary" Bitches Brew
Rob Wasserman "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Bass Trilogy Part 2)" Trios
Ani DiFranco "O.K." Revelling/Reckoning

bonus
Bill Nelson's Orchestra Arcana "Always Looking Forward to Tomorrow" Optimism

That's certainly all over the musical map, but generally with a bit of funk. Joy Division is too (I mean also, not much) funky, at least on this cut, particularly for a group named after women sexually abused in German death camps and led by a guy who'd commit suicide at 24.

Have a great Friday!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting sidenote--I recently got satellite radio (a worthy investment for the car), and someone at XM must LOVE Joy Division, as they're on there all the time, on a variety of channels... Interesting.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She's Lost Control" would have been my 11th song, had I included a bonus. When I started trying to learn guitar, I started with JD songs. It inspired confidence to learn the music of people who had to write the names of the notes on the fretboard.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Tom Hilton said...

I get some Joy Division in almost every Random Ten, it seems. And no, I'm not complaining.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker