Thursday, December 07, 2006

Don't Follow Tinsley, He's Lost Too

Getting pissed off about the comic strip "Mallard Fillmore" is kind of like cringing while Bush talks during a press event (did you hear him with Blair today?)--you know you're going to do it but you can't stop yourself anyway. Today's strip is particularly annoying, however, as it tries, once again, to link World War II with 9/11 (gee, I'm surprised Bruce Tinsley didn't point out how much II looks like 11).

Of course, what bugs me most is the "punchline"--"And so future students don't grow up thinking that 'Pearl Harbor' was a '90s grunge band."

Bruce, that's Pearl Jam, and the odds are good most kids today barely remember them, even with this year's new album and the single "World Wide Suicide" reaching #1 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart and #2 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. Jam and Harbor sound so much alike.

Of course, I really don't expect him to remember there was a musician named Pearl Harbour, who, with her band the Explosions, had a bit of new wave fame and glory back around 1980. Forget about future students having no sense of history, current conservative comics writers don't know jack, either.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be worse. He could be like Chris Muir and not even try to put in a punchline.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never read Mallard Fillmore until I followed your link. Now I know why.

3:06 PM  
Blogger George said...

James, I'm so sorry to make you do that. I owe you one.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker