Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sea? No, Naval College Gazing

Friday is the 122nd anniversary of the founding of the Naval War College in Newport, RI. This school superseded both the Navel War College in St. Augustine, Florida (Motto: I Will Trump Your Cannonball with My Orange!) and the Naval War College in Topeka, Kansas (Motto: Now Where Did They Put the Water?). Taking over the building of what was the former Newport Asylum for the Poor, the college moved all the town's poor to Providence, although the irony of the town's name was lost on the impoverished. Those who enrolled in the first class at the college in 1884 studied a wide range of courses including Scurvy I & II, Cannonball Fuse Lighting, Apprentice to a Pilot or a Pirate?, Inside Whale Survival, and Accordion. The first scandal occurred in the second semester when one young cadet woke up to find the dean of the school naked in his bunk and had to ask, "Is that your rear, Admiral?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad used to be on faculty there. When I was in high school, my friends and I would drag race our cars through the parking garage beneath it. Sort of a "damn the sharp corners and poor lighting! full speed ahead!"

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker