Monday, September 14, 2009

I'd Toast to Your Health but I Don't Have the Bread

Here's something I never thought I'd have to write, but here goes. I'm pretty sure the idiots are winning. They're not everyone, but there's just enough of them, and then there's the folks with money--and I mean "out the wazoo and all the wazoos they've bought" money--who know how to play the idiots for fun and profit.

This is a prelude to why I haven't been writing about health care reform. Just never felt, uh, well about it. After all, the Dems can't seem to get stuff done without a 102-0 advantage in the Senate (they can't do anything until DC gets actual Senate votes), Obama talks pretty but all his lieutenants talk shit (gee, who would have guessed Rahm Emmanuel would have been the first person to sell public option out?), and the money was never on our side of the debate. We know Obama's on the money side--just ask Mr. Geithner. So how can we expect anything but margin-tinkering as something passed off as important?

So I will go hide and lead my little life with my music and food and beer. (I wish I could live it with baseball, too, but goddam those Mets--if anyone needed better healthcare.... Of course Reyes, Santana, and where-has-all-the-power-gone Wright anchor my fantasy team, too, so while I was in first August 4, I know reside in 7th in a 12 team league.)

Meanwhile the racists bray their anger, the religious wage a war against a dead man and the idea watching a movie about someone they don't like might hurt their precious faith (don't read that link's comment thread on a full stomach), people are itching to use those guns they feel such a need to defend, and the only people left with jobs soon will be the spell checkers.

Not that anyone will listen, as I'm sure writin' and grammerin' are going go the way of logic and science and math. And, of course, the faithful have made a god in their image and named it Palin.

(30 of 31 in the drive to 2500)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

I am so mad and frustrated lately that the absolute minority voices...minority numerically, not as a quasi-racial description (I'm talking few people, not blacks and asians) get all the airtime as if they represent the majority opinion. The nutjobs lie, or believe lies, and get the news coverage. Whereby the rest of us, the majority of us, who by all accounts from the last election are pretty normal, get no airtime. Because we're not saying anything.

So the lies start to sound like truth. It sounds as if the media, by their simple coverage rather than critique, is de facto endorsing these lies and mistruths.

1:54 PM  
Blogger steves said...

Most of the "controversy" over that movie seems to be generated by the producers. Author, John Scalzi, had this to say about the whole thing and I tend to agree. Frankly, it just sounds like a dull movie that some distributors probably think won't sell. Since controversy tends to generate sales, I find the theory proposed by the Telegraph (not exactly the pinnacle of journalism) hard to buy.

I perused a few Evangelical on-line forums and couldn't even find a mention of this movie anywhere. For the most part, this is a group that is offended by movies with violence, swearing, and sex, so I think it is safe to say that most movies are going to be "controversial" to them. I hardly think that Darwin is the biggest annoyance in their lives.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker