Friday, November 30, 2007

8 Is Enough

So I'm minding my own business and get tagged to do a meme I've done before by the very person who tagged me last time. Thanks, Ben. The old one is here, if you want to read it, and it had rules and stuff, and I'm supposed to go and tag 8 people, but that's just ridiculous (and do I even know eight bloggers who might do it?). Cough cough. So, if you want to do this, consider yourself tagged. I did it gently on an appropriately public place of your body.

Things You May or May Not Know about Me
(The You Won't Believe What You Heard at All Edition)

  1. I was once part of a band (1993-94).
  2. I played bass, or as I like to say, "I don't play bass, but I play a bassist in Yam."
  3. The band's name was Yam.
  4. For our first public performance at a Halloween party, before we were fired by our original drummer which was tough as we practiced in his laundry room, I performed in a pink dress. As part of our performance we offered up a sacrificial Yam-shaped pinata, which was destroyed by mad dancers who then proceeded to mash candy into the hosts' carpeting. This may have happened during our cover of the Young Marble Giants' "Final Day."
  5. We mainly played originals, many of which were about ourselves, as Yam rhymes with lots of things and makes for a handy lyric tool.
  6. The only song of ours that I wrote the lyrics for was a ditty called "I Want to Be Your Text." (I don't have the lyrics around anymore and really can't recall them, or perhaps I mean really can be bothered to recall them.)
  7. The only song I sang some of the vocals on was our most controversial tune in which I got to join in on the chorus that went "I pulled the trigger on Kurt Cobain...we all pulled the trigger, we all pulled the trigger, we all pulled the trigger on Kurt Cobain." In 1994 them's was sort of fighting words.
  8. After years of not really playing my lefthanded Fender jazz, I donated it to a program providing instruments to musicians who lost their stuff during Katrina. So I sure hope that bass is happy in a real musicians hands.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger ahab said...

So you're left handed. That explains a lot.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it only means he played a left handed bass.

However if he is not left handed, yet played a left handed bass, that might explain even more about George

5:21 PM  
Blogger George said...

I am lefthanded, yes. Surmise what you will.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Tessitura said...

Left handed people are going to rule the world one day...so watch out!!!

11:05 PM  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Yam? Were your groupies known as the "marshmallows?"

11:00 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Yam was an unexlcliamed and left-handed version of Wham!, which makes George sort of an anti-George (Michael, that is), not to be confused with an anti-Christ, since Christ was never in a band unless you count the apostles, who sang a capella before they sang froid. Had there only been an exclamation mark, we might be humming along to "I wanna be your text, hand, dog, mouth, good boy, Mookie, Nigel (plans, making, for). . .

12:25 AM  
Blogger ahab said...

You really know how to kill a thread, Marty...

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker