8 Is Enough
Things You May or May Not Know about Me
(The You Won't Believe What You Heard at All Edition)
- I was once part of a band (1993-94).
- I played bass, or as I like to say, "I don't play bass, but I play a bassist in Yam."
- The band's name was Yam.
- For our first public performance at a Halloween party, before we were fired by our original drummer which was tough as we practiced in his laundry room, I performed in a pink dress. As part of our performance we offered up a sacrificial Yam-shaped pinata, which was destroyed by mad dancers who then proceeded to mash candy into the hosts' carpeting. This may have happened during our cover of the Young Marble Giants' "Final Day."
- We mainly played originals, many of which were about ourselves, as Yam rhymes with lots of things and makes for a handy lyric tool.
- The only song of ours that I wrote the lyrics for was a ditty called "I Want to Be Your Text." (I don't have the lyrics around anymore and really can't recall them, or perhaps I mean really can be bothered to recall them.)
- The only song I sang some of the vocals on was our most controversial tune in which I got to join in on the chorus that went "I pulled the trigger on Kurt Cobain...we all pulled the trigger, we all pulled the trigger, we all pulled the trigger on Kurt Cobain." In 1994 them's was sort of fighting words.
- After years of not really playing my lefthanded Fender jazz, I donated it to a program providing instruments to musicians who lost their stuff during Katrina. So I sure hope that bass is happy in a real musicians hands.
Labels: wham bam thank you yam