Thursday, September 16, 2004

The Pure Happy Hours of America Go Crazy

On Friday September 17 we celebrate the birthday of two great Williamses--William Carlos Williams, who would be 121, and Hank Williams (the real one), who would be 81 (that sounds almost possible, till you think about Hank). In their honor, I will butcher some of their words:

so much depends
upon

a dry cold
martini

glazed with noilly
prat

don't drink it if you're
chicken.

*****

This is just to say

I have drunk
the beers
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so hoppy
and so cold.

*****

Hey, Hey, let's get stinkin', whatcha got drinkin'
How's about drinkin' somethin' up with me
Hey, sweet baby, don't you think maybe
We could find an hour to get hap-py

Shout on high like a Lee named Geddy
How's about savin' six to seven o'clock for me
No more lookin', I know I've been tooken*
Before the DTs I keep steady company.

I'm not gonna throw my wallet over the fence
Cause even on special nothin' costs five or ten cents.
There's no way I get carded at my age
'Cause I was drinkin' when the bouncer was in spermatozoa stage.

Say Hey, the weekend's peakin', whatcha got drinkin'
How's about drinkin' somethin' down with me.

* No way I'm messing with a line that ends with the great word tooken. I'm not that sacrilegious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker